Job : 12-Jul-22
Location: At national scale
Preferred education: PhD
Salary: At the height of experience.
Telecommuting is allowed.
Physical Review seeks an editor with expertise in biological physics and the physics of life to lead, manage, and develop a new, selective journal that will serve researchers working at the interface of physics and biology. The new title will focus on significant advances in the understanding of biological systems through the use of experimental, theoretical and computational tools mainly from physics, but also from chemistry, materials science, computer science, mathematics and engineering. The editor would be responsible for developing a strategy to attract original research, short reviews and perspective articles on a wide range of topics. Areas of interest include (but are not limited to) the application of quantitative tools to study cells and tissues, molecules and microorganisms, biological systems, evolution, disease spread and global health, and animal behavior. For this exciting role, we are looking for an editor who has the breadth, skills, and drive to lead a journal that meets the needs of a highly multidisciplinary research community.
APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access to the United States regardless of physical location, with the majority of staff working primarily from distant work. APS values diversity and welcomes candidates from a variety of backgrounds. APS offers a dynamic work environment with exceptional total compensation including outstanding salary, benefits and excellent paid time off.
Is it you:
- Design and execute a strategy to attract high-quality manuscript submissions from relevant research areas to the new journal
- Manage original manuscripts in fields related to biological physics, the physics of life and, more generally, quantitative life sciences, overseeing all aspects of the peer review process in support of new review
- Contribute to the development plans of journals and physical journal services in line with the needs of researchers working at the interface of physics and biology
- Connect with leading research groups around the world through in-person or virtual lectures and lab tours
- Recruit and manage appropriate editorial board members to engage the research community and drive the editorial vision, goals and process
- Commission review and perspective articles on active research areas
- Promote journal content on the web and via social media
- Keep abreast of key developments in relevant research areas, including scientific discoveries, funding opportunities and new research centers
- Collaborate with other Physical Review editors and APS staff to ensure consistent editorial standards and advance journal strategy and goals
- Report progress to other editorial teams, departments and APS management
- Supervise and/or supervise the tasks of other members of the editorial team
- Foster a positive culture within the editorial team
Education: A doctorate and postdoctoral experience in biological physics, physics, biology, chemistry, materials science, computer science, mathematics or engineering.
Experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Minimum of five years of experience as an editor in a physical science or life science publication, preferably with a demonstrated ability to commission and drive content into a new journal.
- General knowledge of basic concepts in biology and relevant areas of physics
- Demonstrated ability to lead projects and teams.
- Excellent knowledge of scientific research literature and existing research groups in areas of coverage.
- Impeccable editorial and interpersonal skills.
- A desire to learn more about new areas of research and trends in scientific publishing.
- Strong sense of integrity and commitment to a diverse and inclusive research community.
- Ability to make quick independent assessments and decisions.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities.
Travel: The position requires significant business travel within and outside the United States, to attend conferences and events, and to interact with researchers at research institutes and universities.
Our editorial offices are located on Long Island. We are operational in most US states. The editorial department allows for flexible working hours; however, responsiveness is required during the main working day of 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. The successful candidate will join a collaborative international team of editors at Physical Review journals.
Help us achieve our mission to advance and disseminate knowledge in physics for the benefit of humanity, to promote physics, and to serve the community of physics at large.
At APS, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home to active, committed and diverse members
- Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
- Defend physics and physicists, and amplify the voice of science
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physical education for all
Core values are essential in shaping the culture of an organization. They provide structure and guidance for how we conduct ourselves in our daily interactions. Each employee is responsible for upholding these values. The behaviors and actions associated with demonstrating competence in these core values are described in a separate document.
Our core values:
- The scientific method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, inclusion and respect
- Partnership, cooperation and open collaboration
- Education and learning
Incredible Benefits Offers 2022:
Flexible hours and possibility to work remotely
8% pension contribution paid by the employer
Investment advisory services: 100% employer paid
Medical benefits: PPO or HDHP option
Employer contribution to FSA or HSA account, eligibility based on medical plan enrollment
Dental care: individual coverage 100% paid by the employer
Visual benefits: single and dependent coverage 100% employer paid
Basic life and accident insurance: 100% employer-paid employee coverage
Supplemental life and accident insurance, including coverage for spouse and dependent children
Disability insurance: employee coverage paid 100% by the employer
Flexible spending accounts for healthcare, travel and dependent care
Holidays: 15 days per year
Generous leave: 14 significant paid days; includes a closing week at the end of December
Personal leave: 4 days per year
Voluntary leave: 1 day per year
Sick leave: 10 days per year
10 weeks of family leave paid by the employer
College Tuition Reimbursement Scheme
Business seminar & continuing education
Training and professional development; access to LinkedIn Learning on-demand courses
Employee Assistance Program
Mindfulness meditation: live and on-demand classes
The American Physical Society is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the American Physical Society not to discriminate against or permit harassment of employees or applicants on the basis of race, religious belief, alienation or citizenship, religion, color, ethnicity, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital status, family status, protected veteran status, protected military status, physical or mental disability , sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, predisposing genetic characteristics, ancestry, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other characteristic protected by law with respect to any employment practice, including recruitment, advertising, job application procedures, hiring, upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, compensation, work assignments, benefits and/or other terms, conditions or privileges of employment , provided that the indi person is qualified, with or without reasonable accommodation, to perform the essential functions of the position. This policy applies to all employment at APS. The American Physical Society is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodations to people with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, please contact APS Human Resources at email@example.com. All APS employees must be vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination through our secure Safeter vaccination portal upon hire, unless they have an HR-approved medical or religious exemption. APS has a ‘remote first’ concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access, regardless of physical workplace, with the majority of staff working primarily from remote workplaces. We invite you to apply today! The deadline for all applications is September 16, 2022.