The Illinois CPA Society honored 29 minority accounting students who graduated from the tenth annual Mary T. Washington Wylie Internship Preparation Program.
The three-day program took place online from January 5-7, 2022. Local accounting students received training to help them better prepare for their first real-world experiences in accounting.
The Internship Preparation Program is funded by donations to the Illinois Mary T. Washington CPA Endowment Wylie Opportunity Fund. The program honors the legacy of Mary T. Washington, the first African-American female CPA in the United States, by advancing diversity in the profession and providing more opportunities for minority accounting students.
Representatives from firms such as the Big Four, Crowe and Grant Thornton were on hand to present sessions and interview students for paid accounting internships. All participating students received a $500 scholarship to help cover their tuition, as well as the opportunity to interview for free tuition and a stipend scholarship from the MSc in Accounting program University of Illinois.
“I am overwhelmed with pride and excitement for these students,” Kari Natale, senior director of the CPA Endowment Fund of Illinois, said in a statement. “It was an honor to get to know them and watch them develop the skills they need to succeed, overcome personal obstacles and gain the courage to be the best version of themselves. I know they will shine brightly as they transition into the profession.
The 2022 Mary T. Washington Wylie Internship Preparation Program class, in alphabetical order, is as follows:
- Victor Adegoke – Loyola University Chicago;
- Simeon Adesina – University of Rockford;
- Kennedy Allen – Western Illinois University;
- Kimberly Avelar – Aurora University;
- Arameli Banuelos – Governors State University;
- Itzury Barriga – Lake Forest College;
- Danielle Beraya – University of Illinois at Chicago;
- Abby Carbajal Garcia – University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign;
- Mikaela Casillas – University of Illinois at Chicago;
- Aliya Chancellor – DePaul University;
- Morelia Diaz – DePaul University;
- Ashley Doyle – Roosevelt University;
- Gabriella Flores – Harold Washington College;
- Adriel Gahol – Elgin Community College;
- Shyrice Howell – University of Northeastern Illinois;
- Shayla Isada – Loyola University Chicago;
- Ange Kasombola – University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign;
- Britney Maldonado – Wesleyan University of Illinois;
- Joshua Maya – Aurora University;
- Jason McGhee – Trinity Christian College;
- Solean Nunez – University of Western Illinois;
- Janice Nyarko – Illinois State University;
- Gail O’Banner – Governors State University;
- Victoria Perry – Aurora University;
- Amani Pittman – Loyola University Chicago;
- Isaac Robinson – Illinois State University;
- Joshua Thompson – Illinois State University;
- Joshua Tomsich – University of Lewis; and,
- Juwon Williams – University of Illinois at Chicago.
To learn more about the Mary T. Washington program, visit the ICPAS website here.