Life needs freedom. Freedom needs you!
Join the Jeevika community to protect the rights of street vendors in Delhi
Samjad – a fruit vendor in Yusuf Sarai market – was arbitrarily fined INR 2,000-3,000 for hoarding and nuisance under the Delhi Municipal Corporation Act 1957. But the penalty under this law is only INR 50. Center for Civil Society (CCS) helped him challenge the fine before the Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) of Saket Court. The ASJ observed that the penalty cannot exceed INR 50 and referred the case to the City Magistrate who overturned the penalty.
Hundreds of street vendors across Delhi are harassed daily like Samjad. They need you !
About Jeevika Scholarship
Center for Civil Society offers the Jeevika Scholarship to law students from April 2022 to March 2023 to provide legal aid and raise awareness on the rights of street vendors in Delhi. We are looking to hire 10-15 law students, across all colleges, who are passionate about helping street vendors in Delhi. Our team will train all fellows in filing complaints, collecting data on grievances and raising awareness of the legal rights of street vendors.
What’s in it for the guy?
- Applying legal training to real-world issues and helping street vendors enforce their rights
- Interact with senior CCS team members and understand the research in the Indian political landscape
- Receive research and writing training
- Get an opportunity to post in CCS blogs such as Azadi.me and Spontaneous Order
- Gain basic experience and engage with the National Hawkers Federation
- Access CCS network and alumni programs (workshops on rule of law, markets, individual liberty and more) worth Rs. 10,000 in one year
- Based in Delhi-NCR and willing to travel locally (local travel costs will be covered)
- Fluent in Hindi
- Students in year II/III of an LL.B. in 5 years. or I/II year of a 3-year LL.B. program
- Previous experience in field work, legal aid, volunteerism and leadership roles (desirable)
- Students will be required to devote 10 to 12 hours per week
- Available to work online and offline (COVID-19 protocols will be followed)
Interested candidates can apply here before March 31, 2022.
Learn more about the Jeevika scholarship here.
For any other questions, do not hesitate to write to [email protected].
“Working with CCS over the past two years has always been a rewarding experience. The work environment was welcoming, thought-provoking and accommodating. The people I worked and interacted with were all very approachable and helpful. Working at CCS has never been like a job. It has always led me to learn something new and broaden my horizons. Finally, CCS has given me a real sense of purpose, because the policy work done by CCS is substantial and tangible, unlike academic research.” – SCC alumnus Sriram Prasad